Saturday, November 12, 2011

camminando | Rome Contemporary Architecture: Ponte della Musica


My morning walkabout theme is contemporary architecture in Rome North. Ponte Della Musica is my last encounter on my way back home.


The pedestrian bridge signed by Buro Happold just opened in spring 2011 and connects Piazzale Gentile da Fabriano (quartiere Flaminio) with Lungotevere Marasciallo Cadorna (quartiere della Vittoria) . The steel and reinforced concrete structure spans over 190 meters and include two tilted arches ,diverging from the base. Clean and elegant design, although not breathtaking. I liked better than the MAXXI ( my critique is coming soon), at least some reference to the site. I read about it and sounds like the bridge is quite underused, with an hourly traffic only 40 pedestrians.

 
 
 
Excerpts from the multimedia project
“Axes Mundi: Perceptions and Understanding of Places as Intersections of Space, Time and Culture"