Tuesday, March 1, 2016

camminando | A Metro Ride to Dubai Downtown

Walking in Dubai is a challenge, in a pedestrian unfriendly city spreading for about 75 km in the north-east to south-west direction. Construction is all over and often there are no sidewalk and I give up my walking ambitions, yet I decided to opt for an hybrid of walk and public transportation.

My hotel is in Barsha, about 2 km from the Media Internet City Metro Station. The Red Line of the elevated metro rail (driverless and fully automated) takes me with a 15 km / 15 minutes / five stops to Downtown Dubai, running parallel to the highway Sheikh Zayed Road. The mixed-use downtown development is towered by the Burj Khalifa, the tallest man-made structure in the world, at 829.8 meters.


Approaching Dubai Downton: will the skyline become a place?



Views from the Dubai Mall: isn't the world a global place?
Dubai Downtown, everlasting construction

My field of view framed by palm trees framing the Burj Khalifa: isn't high relative in our perceptions?
Dubai Fountain Lake

Walking in Dubai Downtown

Views from the Dubai Metro Red Line