Saturday, July 16, 2016

camminando | Re-visiting the Healing Beauty of Ethernal Roman Urban Spaces

Piazza Campo de' Fiori: the statue of Giordano Bruno by Ettore Ferrari (1889) erected where the Dominican friar (also philosopher, mathematician and poet) was burnt at stake. The inscription in the base reads:
A BRUNO - IL SECOLO DA LUI DIVINATO - QUI DOVE IL ROGO ARSE
While landing at the Leonardo da Vinci international airport,  the pilot welcomes the passengers to Rome, announcing the local time and saying, right after, that "time does not matter, since Rome is the ethernal city".
I truly welcome this remark: for me as well Rome is ethernal, the place of my soul and mind where time stands still in the timeless ruins, art and architecture.
   You don't have to visit the countless museums and churches to become aware of the intoxicating beauty of the ethernal city. Walking becomes not only an act of knowing but also an immersion in beauty and memories-for me both personal and collective.
   I am very much in search for beauty as a means for healing: it seems like everything is falling apart in my life brutally attacked by the power of bureaucracy and dysfunctionality experienced worldwide in three different continents and in three different areas of my life.

Views of the river Tevere
Corso Vittorio Emanuele