Friday, March 18, 2011

camminando | NYC: an almost spring evening with full moon and urban life

Not to much to say with words: hopefully the images narrate the story of a special almost spring evening which felt like a "late summer". My axis mundi finally felt "in place".

The evening started with a stroll in Central Park to perform my ritualistic recording of the sunset mirrored in the water. While the sun setting in the West, almost magically the a full moon rose in the East. The lake had the privilege to host in its water the sun setting and the moon rising at the same time! And the moon at its perigee was so big and felt so close!

Looking West

Looking East



I entered Fifth Avenue, the antidote to e-shopping with some of the most glamorous non-virtual shopping scenes. I cannot afford it (no regrets here, honestly) but it is fun to walk by...

Bergdorf Goodman window tears reminded me of a Lucio Fontana's canvas

Louis Vuitton across the street

My evening continues with the opening of "Inhabiting Abstration" at the Francis M. Naumann gallery. Finding spirals and classic geometric abstraction in the paintings of Jean Crotti (1878-1958) was reassuring. But I was really mesmerized by the small room of the gallery with Marcel Duchamp, Man Ray and Dada memorabilia.


Marcel Duchamp, Man Ray and Dada Memorabilia

Jean Crotti @ Francis Naumann

On my way home another typical encounter of a Manhattan night scene, the limo. On the back a very interesting window display at a store I can afford, Strawberry.


Finally closing the evening in circle the full moon, rising higher, greeted me in front of my building.


This evening was another reminder that ...it is not about the destination, but about the path.

Excerpts from the conceptual multimedia project
“Axes Mundi: Perceptions and Understanding of Places as Intersections of Space, Time and Culture"